Friday, July 18, 2008

Creation and Adult Imagination

The human capacity to create is a marvelous gift from God. We have been given the powers of procreation, to bring children into this world, and also a talent for creation, to make something greater than the sum of its constituents. We talk to children a lot about imagination and creativity but not much about this to adults. But what a wonderful gift it is to look at the world through different eyes, to see the mundane items of your everyday life and put them together for a fresh purpose.

Today my sister and I constructed a tent in our living room. I once thought that my free imagination was gone, bridled by the daily grind of "responsible", adult life. To release that inner creator was one of the main goals in our family's month-long novel writing adventure. I wrote a novel in one month and allowed myself to make horrible mistakes and liberating discoveries. It was fun today to use that explorative mindset in a much more messy way. And I am here to say that adults have imaginations just as powerful, if not more so, as children. The tent I made today in my living room is far more unusual and unique, structurally sound, enticingly interactive, and aesthetically appealing than any I ever made as a child.

We just finished it. I can't wait for Soren to get up from his nap so I can see how he likes it. Oh! I think I hear him now!

As a parting shot, I want you, dear reader, to know that the boundless capacity for creation we have as humans is because we are also children of God, the creator of us all. We can be as He is someday and we get to practice right now. So create something!

No comments: