Friday, September 12, 2008

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

"An achingly beautiful story." -School Library Journal (starred review)

Four years ago I read Kate DiCamillo's The Tale of Despereaux, which won the Newberry Award for the greatest contribution to children's literature in the year of 2004. It was an enchanting fable and easily became one of my all-time favorite books. I never thought DiCamillo could write a more captivating story and, as a rule, I have not enjoyed her other books very much. So when I picked up The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, I was not expecting to become so entransed. I was certainly not expecting to be inspired, to feel my heart ripped from my body in sorrow and joy. It's a book about love in all its simplicity and pain and glory. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it. "Achingly beautiful" is right. That's exactly what reading it felt like; I ached with the beauty of it.

Edward Tulane is a china rabbit loved and pampered by a girl named Abilene. On an ocean voyage he goes overboard and is lost. Thus begins his wandering at the hands of fate and a journey could teach him the importance of love.

It's a very simple story and a quick read. I made it through the whole book in less than an hour. And I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Come and borrow it if you like but don't keep it for long. It's one I'll want to read again and again.

No comments: