Monday, July 7, 2008

Modern Marvels

As a continuation of yesterday's post, I wanted to tell you about the wonderful afternoon I had with my husband. I was feeling a sudden awareness of and awe at the many blessings we have that we take for granted in life. So Scott and I played a little game where we took turns talking about things that we are grateful for. Scott was really preoccupied with electricity and other modern marvels. He kept talking about how wonderful it is that we have running water and lights. He said that at his office, some of his co-workers had gone on business trips to third world countries that were partially--if not totally--wasted because the power went out for days and they couldn't teach their translators to use the tools they needed. I can't imagine the power going out for days! Whenever I flip on the light switch and the lights don't come on, I think Hmmm, the power must be out. I'll wait a couple of minutes and it will come back on. And even that kind of thing is really uncommon.

So I've been thinking about the wonders of technology and all the gadgets I have that make my life a lot better. I am grateful for my electric lights and my computer. I am grateful for the internet and for the stove. I am grateful for the microwave. I am grateful for a hot shower in the morning and a flushing toilet. I am grateful for my washer and dryer as well as my dishwasher. It's easy to be grateful for those things because I remember when I didn't have them. It makes my life very pleasant and comfortable to have those things in my very own home. I am grateful for my stereo and (though we don't use it often) our car. I'm sure Soren is very grateful for the television; isn't that depressing?

No comments: