Thursday, October 9, 2008

Help for My Sister

Calling all conscientious eaters: my 13-yr-old sister is thinking about becoming vegetarian (because of a fantasy book she read, of all things). She is looking for advice on whether or not this course of action is for her and how she should broach the subject with our mom, who makes meat and potatoes for every meal. Please follow this link to her post and offer her your opinions, advice, experiences, and recipes. Although I have given her my input, based on my knowledge of her and our family, I know that I have a lot of friends who have struggled with this issue before. Even if you are not vegetarian and have never considered becoming vegetarian, could you share with her how you balance your diet, how you interpret the counsel to "eat meat sparingly", or of a time you might have made a lifestyle change that affected those you love? It would mean a lot to me if you could lend her a hand.

Boy, I'm grateful for an internet community that can help with these kinds of things.

3 comments:

mk said...

I saw her post last night, and I wanted to respond, but I wasn't quite sure what to say. I'll think about it some more and try come up with something that might be useful to her.

Heather of the EO said...

Hello!
I'm sorry to say that I can't be of help to your sister as I'm still a meat eater (and actually considering NOT being one, but I'm not educated enough yet either) :)

I wanted to thank you for your comment on my two questions about motherhood. I hope it's okay with you if I quote you in a follow up post. You spoke of things I've been wanting to share about the purpose of my questions. So please stop me soon if you don't want to be quoted :) Otherwise, I'll be posting something later today with a quote from you.
You're a wise mama!
Heather

Carolyn said...

THANK YOU to everyone who helped out with this! Brianna is still trying to make up her mind (about being vegetarian) but your advice has been helpful. More than that, it was really confidence-boosting for her to get responses to her post.