Wednesday, October 8, 2008

50 Tender Mercies

I felt the love of the Lord today:

1. when I woke up this morning and realized that Scott, Soren, and I had all enjoyed a full, uninterrupted night of sleep.
2. when I pulled on a hand-knit sweater.
3. when we had the time and foresight to pray together before walking to the train stop.
4. when we chatted with Phyllis, the crossing guard.
5. when there were enough seats at the train stop for all of us.
6. when a woman getting off the train gave me a piece of good advice.
7. when I had a stroke of genius and ensured that Soren will never be hatless on a morning walk again.
8. when a bird's feather fell right in front of my path.
9. when Soren was happy to eat taco soup for breakfast, since we have a ton and no one else wants it.
10. when I read the paper and was grateful for our democratic government, flawed as it is.
11. when I listened to the first disk of Handel's "Messiah".
12. when I thought about the perfect government Christ will set up at his second coming, when we will be ruled by he who is called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace!
13. when Soren curled up next to me and laid his head on my chest, if only for a moment.
14. when I bit into a crisp autumn apple.
15. when I remembered other apples and harvesting the bounty of the earth from our yard at Step Beyond.
16. when I was able to get ahold of Aaron Fernuik and cancel our harp lesson to take care of my feverish son.
17. when I stopped to feel it.
18. when I spent a little bit of time cleaning, then stepped back and look at the difference I had made and thought of President Uchtdorf's talk on the divinity of creation.
19. when I explained the geometry of a soccer ball to Soren and he seemed to listen the whole time.
20. when I used the miracle that is Vick's Vapor Rub!
21. when I felt the energizing power of the Spirit, sustaining me as I was trying to sustain my baby boy.
22. when I opened the window blinds and let in the sunlight.
23. when I thought about how God wants me to nourish my body, then actually sat down and ate lunch.
24. when Alisha Stamper came to visit.
25. when Wallace Stamper smiled at me (truly a rare gift).
26. when I used the internet to read up on my extended family.
27. when Soren and I danced to "Here Come the ABCs" and he laughed (if a little wetly).
28. when Jill Fetzer called and gave me an opportunity to magnify my calling.
29. when I curled up on the couch in my comfortable apartment and read unstoppably through my chance to nap.
30. when April Clauson brought me some fresh basil and mint from her garden, as well as an example of service and friendship.
31. when Soren woke up from his afternoon nap, contently babbling.
32. when I listened to Henry B. Eyring--again.
33. when I put down my book and watched Soren play with a Baby Ruth wrapper.
34. when I saw the motto for Attachment Parenting Month, "Giving Our Children Presence".
35. when I commented on your blogs.
36. when I looked at pictures of my family.
37. when Soren looked up at me and smiled.
38. when Scott came home from work and said he'd had plenty to do and felt more like a linguist than a bureaucrat.
39. when Scott had his new work shirts and I remembered what a blessing his job is.
40. when I realized we had so much good leftovers I wouldn't have to cook!
41. when I made a very tasty pesto anyways with lots of basil and lots of flavor.
42. when all three of us sprawled out on the floor to play.
43. when it kind-of looked like Soren was combing Scott's hair.
44. when Scott and I watched Soren play in the bath tub.
45. when Soren and I went on a babywearing walk in the cool evening air.
46. when I saw Earl Gilmore at the church building and saw him smile, in spite of everything.
47. when I walked into my warm house and put on my warm robe.
48. when Soren fell asleep and peace descended on him and our home.
49. when Scott came home from a church meeting and held me close.
50. when I wrote this list.

Can I start a tag? How have you felt the love of the Lord today?

No comments: