Monday, October 20, 2008

Enlightenment

Christ has opened my eyes and offered me spiritual rebirth. Now, not completely but more than ever before, I understand God's plan of happiness and the wisdom and love with which He guides His children.

And, after months of frustration, I have realized that this cannot be taught. I cannot give you the path my spirit took to arrive at a glorious truth. I can only urge you to open your heart to the Holy Ghost, "for by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

I know that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God, the Creator and Savior of the world.

I know that He was the greatest teacher and exemplar there ever was. He bade us follow Him and I know that although that path may seem at times to be fraught with trials and sorrow, that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

I know that He healed the sick and raised the dead during His mortal ministry. I know that He can heal and revitalize souls sickened or deadened by sin.

I know that His sacrifice in Gethsemane and on Golgotha prepared the way for us to return in glory to our Father in Heaven. He is the only way, the only name through which we can be saved.

I know that He lives and that He loves us.

And while I struggle with temptation, with pain, and with inequality, I know that through Him I shall obtain eternal life. I know in whom I have trusted.

These things cannot be taught. But I have obtained these truths--and countless more I cannot put into words!--through the Holy Ghost. That gift is one of God's greatest gifts to me. And every experience I have that invites me to learn line upon line from this spiritual teacher is a tender mercy from my loving Father in Heaven.

2 comments:

Paula said...

This is key to raising our children--yes we can teach them, but they must gain their own testimony.

Carolyn said...

Paula,

You're absolutely right; our children are agents unto themselves as well. But I must admit, that's the part of all this that scares me most! Of all the people in the world I wish I could imprint my world-view upon, it is my children that matter most.

Which, I'm sure, is the way our Heavenly Father feels about all of us. We must all gain our own testimonies.