Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sleep, Glorious Sleep

Last night Soren woke up over and over and over again, screaming with intense and inexplicable rage. After the third time, I just dragged my stuff into his room and fell asleep on the floor with him hooked up to the breast. I haven't done that since week one but I just had no idea what to do! Usually he's a very good sleeper (something we trained him to be).

So right now, I'm exhausted. And I can't help but remember that it used to be like this day after day in the beginning. Groggy one day turned into sleepy the next which turned to exhaustion, then dead on my feet by the end of the week. I remember being dead on my feet for weeks at a time. I'm very grateful that part of my life is over, for now. I'm grateful that a sleepless night is unusual and eventually I will be able to sleep with carefree abandon once more.

Rest is wonderful. God rested on the seventh day. He promises that those who come unto Him will find rest. He commands us to rest on the Sabbath. I know that a lot of God's plan is about work, the kind of work that is fulfilling and brings happiness. But I am very very grateful that His plan also includes rest.

2 comments:

TopHat said...

You inspire me to comment more often!

I'm sure you'll get sleep. He probably won't be waking up so often by the time he's a deacon! :)

Carolyn said...

Turns out he was teething. Poor little guy.