Monday, August 18, 2008

A Scenic Drive

Have you ever experienced a sudden flash of awe, a burning in your heart? Almost like you were being touched by something much greater than yourself? Maybe it felt like an epiphany of the spirit? I felt that this weekend while driving up the canyon to a family reunion at Bear Lake. The mountains were solid pillars of majesty all around us and every once in a while we would catch a dazzling blue glimmer of the approaching lake. I felt a peace settle over me that I didn't even realize was missing.

Usually that is a feeling I experience when praying or when listening to edifying music. It feels like I'm being touched by the finger of God. I know that it is the Holy Ghost testifying of my Heavenly Father's love for me. I remember an old friend at Interlochen Arts Academy telling me that he knew there was a God because he could see his hand in the beauty and diversity of the natural world. Now I understand what he meant by that.

It's been a long time since I've driven out beyond the bustle and man-made aesthetic of tradition civilization. I'm grateful that I was able to go this weekend. And I'm grateful now to know that it's still out there. There's still a place I can go to where there is almost nothing interfering with the awe-inspiring simplicity of God's creation.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

That is a lot how I felt in North Dakota. There were just tons and tons and tons of plants. Granted most of them were part of agriculture, but there is a beauty in agriculture that we lack in our cities and suburbia. I love things that stand as pillars - I love the mountains in Utah to help me feel close to the Lord. I love the forests in Maryland, and I loved the grassy plains in North Dakota. That is one of my big struggles here in Texas...that I live in the middle of miles of concrete, with only the manicured trees and shrubs that do not contain God's beauty unrestrained in the form of real nature.

Rebecca Talley said...

Yes, I have also felt this way. I live in a rural area and am constantly amazed by the natural beauty that surrounds me. It is always a testiomny to me of a loving Heavenly Father who has created such a beautiful world for us.