Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Renewing Power of the Atonement

I was listening to a talk by Joseph B. Wirthlin the other day that, although it was mostly directed to inactive members of the church, has given me something to think about. He said that when we are converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ by truly coming unto the Savior, he will renew our bodies and give us energy and strength. It reminded me of the story in the Book of Mormon where the people had heavy burdens placed upon them and when they prayed, the Lord did not take those burdens away but made them lighter on their backs. Elder Wirthlin brought up the scripture "for my yoke is easy and my burden is light". This is a promise that I am grateful for. I know that I have comparatively few responsibilities in my life and only a little work to do right now but I feel very keenly the need for the strengthening and invigorating power of the Holy Ghost. So I've been praying every day for this spiritual gift and I know that the Lord is upholding me as I strive to do the important things in life. Some days I feel so drained and it seems that I'm not able to get very much done but when I look back on the day, I know that the Lord has helped me to do those things that are most important. He was sustaining me when the baby needed to be fed or played with. He was sustaining me when I wanted to sleep but needed to read the scriptures. He was sustaining me when I was preparing to welcome my husband home from work, giving me the energy to cook and tidy up. And he has always sustained me with ample energy when my new calling has placed demands on me. Even if I get only those few things done every day, then that is a tender mercy of the Lord to me. It is those things that make my life full and meaningful, not the side projects and flurry of activity I often envision myself involved in. I am grateful for the simplicity of the gospel and the sustaining power of the Holy Ghost.

No comments: