Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Election is Over

Scott brought home a copy of a speech given by a general authority of the LDS church in 1978 for me today. It was very pertinent to the dilemma church members in California faced yesterday when voting on Proposition 8. I found it reaffirming and my first thought (after thanking God for the foresight of our leaders) was, I have to put this on my blog!

And then I remembered that the voting is over, Proposition 8 was successful, and the time for arguments is over.

I'm glad that California, Arkansas, and Florida were successful in banning gay marriage in their states. I'm disappointed that my presidential candidate of choice, Bob Barr, took 0 electoral votes (although that was to be expected). I'm glad Jim Matheson will be representing my district in the House of Representatives and wary of the pricy bonds my city will be taking out to finance zoo and aviary renovations.

However, the emotion I feel most strongly is relief. I am so glad that the time for debating is over and the time for peacemaking has come.

Which is true for every election or proposition voted on yesterday. No matter who or what won, I'm just glad that the races are over and the contention can cease. Whether or not we agree with the politicians and policies in place, it's time to band together as Americans and do the best with what we've got. It's time to pull up our bootstraps and get to work. And it's definitely time to show a little more love for those with a different worldview.

Happily, I heard a reiteration of this in Obama's acceptance speech. I'm glad he understands that, in these rough times, every hand is needed to alleviate suffering and right wrongs. I heard in his speech an admission that the government can't solve our problems, it can only lead us to solve them ourselves.

And so this is definitely not the time to throw up our hands and abandon our leaders or laws just because we didn't vote for them. Voting is not the only contribution we make to our nation. It's only the beginning. Now is the time to really get involved.

And that's the blessing of an ended election. As "exciting" as these past few months have been, the important work begins now. And a great day of unity is coming.

3 comments:

*MARY* said...

Amen!

And I've always got blog on the brain, whatever happens I always think, "should I blog about this?"

Heather of the EO said...

mary totally stole my comment straight from my brain. It's almost freaking me out.

so, ditto.

Unknown said...

I thought Obama gave a great speech, and even though I didn't vote for him, I'm excited to see what will come.