Friday, December 5, 2008

The Living Water

On Wednesday night I went to a Relief Society Enrichment activity that will probably stand forever in my mind as the most enriching Enrichment I have ever been to.

As a part of the beautiful evening, a dozen of the sisters in our ward performed the program "Women at the Well" by Kenneth Cope. It's a musical presentation that tells the stories of women who knew the Savior during His mortal ministry. What a perfect accompaniment to the Christmas season! How better to celebrate the birth of our Lord than by remembering the lives of people He touched?

I felt richly blessed listening to the singers. I was grateful for their testimonies and preparation, which were a tender mercy of the Lord in my life. They were instruments in God's hands that night. Their music was so much more than the words or the notes; the spirit and love they sang with was almost tangible. Every one of them was a ministering angel to me that night.

The message of the program was taken from Christ's words to the Samaritan woman who had come to draw water from a well were He sat resting. "Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:13-14)

Christ is the living water. Through daily prayer and scripture study, I have caught a glimpse of the fulfillment of that promise He made to the Samaritan woman. As I learn of Him and by the power of the Holy Ghost, Christ fills my cup with His living water every day.

But while attending that activity on Wednesday night, I felt my already brimming cup become like a well springing up inside of me. I was overflowing with the love of God. The combination of music and sisterhood and spiritual affirmation was more than my little cup could hold.

What a tender mercy. What a special experience.

1 comment:

Heather of the EO said...

What I love about the Samaritan woman's story is that Jesus totally broke through social systems of the time to "pour" some grace on this hurting woman. She had obviously been "lookin' for love in all the wrong places," man after man after man...and they couldn't fill her the way the living water could. And Christ's approach to her is just so beautiful. He SAW her. He really SAW her and loved her despite her sin. I just love that. I need that grace and I'm so thankful for it.